Monday, September 26, 2011

Dear Grieving Sister

A fellow grieving woman who lost her life mate two months before me posted an open letter on her blog. This was my response.
Dear Grieving Sister,
This note seems to be written to me - or are all grieving women just in a sad sisterhood whereby we all recognize the same feelings in ourselves and others? I wish I could leave this sisterhood. This is one time when knowing that someone is going through the same thing does not make it easier.
To answer your thoughts - no, I don't think our loved ones grieve as we do. After all, they have an advantage. They can still check in with us. They know how we are. They have an access to us that we don't have to them. I think they miss their life with us but I don't believe it's the same. And I don't think our separation is forever. Your love came into your life when he was supposed to and you will be with him again. Knowing I will be with John again is all that keeps me going some days. On some level, we agreed to this. He had to leave ahead of me. He completed his work this time around. I haven't. Now my job is to figure that out, get it done, and go home, too.
But this grief will always be a part of me and shapes who I am now. It's supposed to. That is its purpose. Fun? I don't know what that is? Passion? I miss it. And I feel I have already disappeared. I look in the mirror and don't recognize who I see. I need to learn who I am again and for now I don't know how I will do that or what I will turn into. I liked who I was when I was with John. I don't like who I am now. Maybe that is the key. Learning to like me. Period. No matter what.
Your sister in this sorrow journey,
joy

No comments:

Post a Comment