Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The biology of grief

It's hard when you feel you have to hide the sorrow because others think it's "time" for you to move on.
There is no "moving on". Moving forward, yes. Bringing that missing loved one with you is all you do.
But there is no moving on.
I think about John so many times a day I can't count them. Everything reminds me of him in some way.
I was in New York City this past weekend and that is always hard for me. While I like visiting my family, that city reminds me so acutely of when I lost John. He died in that city. I rode the railroad with him in that city. I took cabs with him there. We walked the streets together, we ate in restaurants. There are places I never want to go to again because the last time I was there it was with John and some people can't understand that. I get "looks" when I say there are places I want to avoid because of the memories associated with them.
Why can't people understand? Why must they judge?
I don't wish this kind of loss on anyone but maybe that is the only way they can understand and then they will act as if they are the only ones to go through this  It wouldn't be right to say I told you so but it's so tempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment