Friday, January 16, 2015

The Good-Bye Girl

I watched "The Good-Bye Girl" tonight. It was a great old movie with Richard Dreyfuss and Marsha Mason. It was one of the first movies that John and I watched together and it was special to us. Its theme was something that hit home for us. Basically, Marsha Mason falls in love with Richard Dreyfuss but, because of her failed past relationships, is afraid he is going to leave her, too.
The last scene of the movie, as he is leaving to go on location for a movie, he asks her to have his guitar restrung while he is gone. And it's then that she knows that he is coming back because he left his guitar - his prized possession - with her.
John left his guitar at my apartment from the very beginning of our relationship and he told me that meant the same thing for him, too. He was never going to leave me.
I still have his guitar.
I lost it at the end of the movie when the credits started rolling and the theme song started to play. I haven't felt this bad in a while and the words just got to me.
The words mean more now to me than ever.
He's coming back for me.

Goodbye Girl
Song by David Gates
All your life you've waited
For love to come and stay
And now that I have found you
You must not slip away
I know it's hard believing
The words you've heard before
But darlin' you must trust them
Just once more
'Cause baby, goodbye doesn't mean forever
Let me tell you goodbye doesn't mean we'll never be together again
If you wake up and I'm not there, I won't be long away
'Cause the things you do, my goodbye girl, will bring me back to you
I know you've been taken
Afraid to hurt again
You fight the love you feel for me
Instead of giving in
But I can wait forever
A-helping you to see
That I was meant for you
And you for me
So remember goodbye doesn't mean forever
Let me tell you goodbye doesn't mean we'll never be together again
Though we may be so far apart
You still will have my heart
So forget your past my Goodbye Girl
Cause now you're home at last

No comments:

Post a Comment