Friday, January 22, 2021

In search of the Promised Land

"Sometimes you have to go through the wilderness before you get to the Promised Land."

John Blytheway

Our country, our world, our species has been through the wilderness these past few years. Now, we see the Promised Land on the horizon and we welcome it.

I feel I have been through my own personal wilderness. Losing John has been devastating for me. That was followed by losing family members and friends and cherished pets. Our nation's politics has taken a toll. And then, this past year, the pandemic and its forced isolation has been so very hard. 

But better days are coming. I feel it.

My personal wilderness has forged my soul anew. While isolated, I have accomplished a few things. Some important. Some not so much. 

In no particular order:

I gave up caffeine. 

I grew out my hair color - I think I like the silver. I also have not had a haircut in almost a year. I thought I would like the new length. Answer: I don't. It will get cut short again as soon as I feel it is safe.

I took a few online courses.

I wrote a book. More on that as it nears publication.

I am developing an online course in metaphysics/spirituality based on my experiences and what I have learned. More on that too in coming months.

I have learned about myself. Some of it was not pretty. In the early months of this pandemic I was in constant panic mode and it took turning to outside help to regain my equilibrium. I admit I was taken aback by how much I was affected. Old traumas and losses became new and I was brought to a strange and frightening wilderness I was not expecting. 

But I feel that is behind me now and I look forward to this year with an energy that brings me both joy and peace. I have rediscovered a book I had found many years ago - Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach. I have had this book for so long that the pages are brown but I have never read it cover to cover. This year I plan to do that. Ms. Ban Breathnach speaks to that part of my soul that longs for comfort. And simplicity. And the joy of everyday life. Looking to the future. Cherishing today. Making a contribution to the world. 

My own Promised Land will be taking photographs of the beauty around me. Writing words that hopefully inspire others and give them pleasure. Being with friends I have not seen in many months, sharing a glass of wine while watching the sunset. 

Living again.

What will you do in your Promised Land?

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment