Sunday, January 2, 2011

A new year - and a lesson from the old

I can't say I hold out much hope for 2011. It's not that I am a pessimist. I am sure 2011 will bring good things to many people, perhaps even me. But I have learned many things from 2010. The most important thing was "don't plan". Don't assume things are going to turn out a certain way, don't assume you will have more time with loved ones and friends, don't assume you will get even get another minute to do anything.
But it's a good lesson.
I am learning not to put things off. I have learned that every moment is precious. I have learned that the time is now to say I love you or can I help you. I have learned that I can't take anything for granted. The chance to be with someone or to do a good deed is fleeting. Grab it when you can. Don't assume the chance will come again. It may not.
Life can change in an instant. It did for me. One night I went to bed assuming John and I were going to be going home the next morning - back to our life, back to our furchildren, back to being together for ever and ever. I awoke mere hours later to all that being over - forever.
I am still learning what that means for me, trying to understand what it means to not have John physically with me in this earthly life. It's something that will probably take me the rest of my life to fully understand. But one thing I do understand now is that life is short. No matter how long it is, it is never long enough when someone you love is gone from you. One of the few things that makes it bearable for me is knowing that John and I always appreciated the life we had together. We loved our life together and we knew we were blessed to have each other. It's a lesson I want to apply to my relationships with others. It's a lesson well learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment