Tuesday, December 13, 2011

More idiots "studying" grief

A grief-sister is blogging about an article in Time Magazine that tries to explain the current thinking on grief. While some - and I do mean just some - of the points made are valid, for the most part, the article falls far short of the mark.
The article drew much of its information from flawed studies - studies done on elderly couples who lost a mate. Based on this, they felt that they knew all there was to know about the grief associated with losing a life partner.
Really?
Based on one stupid flawed study, you now know what it is to lose your soul mate, your best friend, lover, companion, support, business partner, the one person who understood you, who loved you, who believed in you, no matter what?
Are you kidding me?
I especially disagree with the idea that grief ends and that those who grieve beyond 6 months - and heaven forbid! - into the second year suffer from “Prolonged Grief Disorder”!? How dare they? Just what this world needs – another label to pigeon-hole people into when others can’t relate to what those people are feeling.
John was all of those things I mentioned. He was my true soul mate. And even beyond that, we had a mystical connection. There is something called Twin Flames which takes the concept of soul mates one step further. Whatever there is beyond soul mates, John and I were/are it. He took part of me with him when he died and I yearn for the day when both of us are whole again with each other.
That study is so flawed I can’t even begin to dissect it.
John was only 67 when he passed and I was only 62. I’m 63 now and the years ahead without him seem an insurmountable obstacle. I also feel robbed. We had planned on growing old together, sharing that last step with each other. We would have taken such good care of each other and I miss not being able to do that.
The article also seemed to equate functioning with no longer grieving. What nonsense! I "functioned" from the very beginning. John died while we were on vacation in NY. I had to get myself – and him – back here to Arizona. I had to notify people. I had to plan a service and funeral. I had to take care of our animals and our home. Somehow I did it but that did not mean I grieved any less. Losing a spouse is hard. Losing a spouse who is a soul mate is harder. Losing a spouse who is a soul mate suddenly and unexpectedly is worse still. I had the trifecta. We had no idea this was going to happen. I woke up in the middle of the night away from home and John was gone. Can you imagine?
My grief is forever. Just because I am able to get up every morning and do the things I have to do does not mean I am not still grieving. Just yesterday I had a meltdown. The enormity of John not being here just hit me – again – and the tears and the sobs came. I expect it will always be so. It will never be all right that he is gone and I am still here. I miss him with every cell of my being.
Articles like that do so much damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment